Gate City Bank is here to help you avoid fraud and identity theft scams. Following best practices for e-mail, as well as online and offline identity protection will also assist in reducing your risk.
- E-mail safety means following best practices when you send and receive e-mail.
- Don’t include sensitive information in e-mail.
- Never click on links within an e-mail.
- Don’t open SPAM or attachments from strangers.
- Be suspicious of e-mails asking for personal information.
- Be selective when providing your e-mail address.
Online Identity Protection
Online identity protection means following best practices to help you search the Internet safely and securely.
- Update and strengthen the security of your online passwords.
- Do not use the same username and password on all accounts, especially your financial accounts. This prevents information compromised on one online account from being used on other online accounts.
- Use a secure browser and trusted computer for sensitive transactions.
- Log off when you’re done using web sites that require a user ID and password.
- Disconnect and shut down when you’re not using your computer.
Offline Identity Protection
Offline identity protection means following best practices to help you secure your personal information in the “real world.”
- Monitor your postal mail.
- Don’t give out your personal information freely.
- Check your credit report annually.
- Shred documents containing personal information before discarding them.