FAQ - Online Banking Questions
No. You are the only one that knows your password. If the password is forgotten, you may click on the “Forgot Password?” link below the login area or contact a Customer Service Specialist.
Keep your passwords in a secure place, and out of plain sight. Don't share them on the Internet, over email, or on the phone. Your Internet Service Provider (ISP) should never ask for your password. In addition, hackers may try to figure out your passwords to gain access to your computer. To make it tougher for them:
- Use passwords that have at least eight characters and include numbers or symbols. The longer the password, the tougher it is to crack. A 12-character password is stronger than one with eight characters.
- Avoid common words: some hackers use programs that can try every word in the dictionary.
- Don't use your personal information, your login name, or adjacent keys on the keyboard as passwords.
- Change your passwords regularly (at a minimum, every 90 days).
- Don't use the same password for each online account you access.
For security purposes, your account will be locked if the password or verification code are entered incorrectly 5 or more times. You can reset your password and unlock your account by clicking the "Forgot Username or Password" link under the login area or by contacting a Customer Service Specialist.
- Checking accounts and Certificate of Deposit (CD) accounts will have one year of history.
- Savings account history will go back to April 18, 2016 and will build to one year.
- Loan accounts will have at least 18 months of history.
Online balances, transfers, and transaction history are live and up to the minute. Online Banking will show current balances and any transactions that have occurred during the current day. (The balance and history will match the bank's system.)
Online Banking gives both a principal and payoff balance (with the exception of a mortgage loan payoff). Online Banking shows a breakdown or spread for monthly payments (what was applied to principal or interest).
Online Banking supports regular and principal-only loan payments made from a Gate City Bank checking or savings account.
Payments can be made using the “Pay” link on the Online Banking Home Page, the "Make a transfer" link on the Online Banking Home Page or Account History Page or by using the "Move Money" tab at the top of any page. Standard/Regular Payment is the default option. Select the Principal Payment option from the drop-down box for a principal-only payment. The transaction will appear and the balances will updated in just a few minutes.
Please note: On mortgage loans, you must make your regular payment before paying an additional amount to the principal balance. You may receive an error message if you attempt to make a principal-only payment before making your regular payment on a mortgage loan.
Yes. Online Banking offers the following alert types:
Low Balance – Sends alert when account balance is at or below the threshold
High Balance – Sends alert when account balance is at or above the threshold
Large Deposit – Sends an alert when deposits with amounts over the specified threshold clear
Large Withdrawal – Sends an alert when withdrawals with amounts over the specified threshold clear
Maturity Date – This alert will let users know when their investment accounts are maturing so that they can take action on the account
Check Cleared – Sends an alert when the specified check number has cleared the account specified
Loan Payment Due – Sends an alert when a loan payment is coming due
Loan Payment Past Due – Sends an alert when a loan payment is overdue
Balance Update – Sends regular updates on the account balance of the chosen account
Personal Reminder – Sends a specified message according to the selected frequency
NOTE: All balance-related alerts will be sent based on the Available Balance.
Log into Online Banking, go to "My Settings" and click on "Update email options" or "Update" under the Personal information section. Enter the new e-mail address and click on "Save."
Alert Type Processing Times
- High Balance
- Low Balance
- Payment Due
- Payment Past Due
- Maturity Date
- Check Cleared
- Large Withdrawal
- Large Deposit
Alerts will run once per day, between 1 p.m. and 4 p.m. CT, and may continue throughout the day.
- Balance Update
- Personal Reminder
Between 8-10 am Central Time
Online Banking will export the following file formats: Quicken® (.qfx), OFX and Excel (.csv). Transactions can be exported from the Account History Page within Online Banking. For additional Quicken assistance, please visit Quicken's help page. Note: Intuit®, the maker of Quicken®, has a policy of ending support and downloading after 3 years.
You may also copy data from your transaction list (Quick Peek and History Page) and paste it into standard spreadsheets like Excel. Highlight and copy the data you want (e.g., date, description or amount) then paste it into a row of the spreadsheet or anywhere you want (Word doc, Notepad, etc.).
Yes. Transfers made online are up to the minute.
You will see 3 pages before the transfer is completed:
- The first page is where you will indicate how much to transfer and which accounts to transfer between.
- The second page shows the information entered on the first page and asks you to select the "Confirm" button or the "Cancel" button.
- The third page will give the transfer specifics and states that the transfer was successful with a reference number.
Yes. One-time transfers can be scheduled up to one year in advance. Recurring transfers can be scheduled weekly and every 2 weeks (by day of the week), monthly, twice a month, every 3 months, every 6 months, and annually (by date.) Log into Online Banking, mouse over the "Move Money" tab, and then click on "Scheduled a Transfer."
Update personal information:
- E-mail Address
- Home phone number
- Security Options - Your phone numbers for receiving verification codes
- Rename & Hide your accounts
- Alerts & Notifications - Set up or update email and Text Banking alerts
Log in to Online Banking and mouse over the "Secure Forms" tab and select "Add-Delete Account Request." You may also contact us directly to have accounts added or removed from your Online Banking.
Please note: New accounts will be added to your account summary automatically within 3 business days.
You may disable an account without removing it completely. Go to "My Settings" and click on "Rename & Hide your accounts." You will see a list of your accounts with a checkbox next to them. Remove the check mark from the account(s) you wish to disable and then click "Change." The account can be enabled at any time.
- Go to "My Settings" in the top right corner of your Online Banking and click the "Update security options" link or the "Update" link within Security options under "Login & Security."
- Add a Phone Number: Enter the new phone number in the box provided and click "Save." If you already have two phone numbers listed, click the "X" icon next to the phone number to remove it.
- Remove a Phone Number: Click the "X" icon next to the phone number to remove. Note: if you need to remove a phone number and only have one number stored, follow the "Add a Phone Number" steps above and then remove the other phone number.