Privacy & Security
Protect Your Computer
Antivirus SoftwareAntivirus software detects and responds to various types of malware (malicious software), including viruses, worms and other programs designed to damage or disrupt a computer. Protect your computer by doing the following:
- Install antivirus software on your computer.
- Keep your antivirus software license current.
- Only open email and attachments from known senders.
- If you receive an attachment from someone you do not know or are not expecting, do not open it. Delete it.
Click here for more information about malware and antivirus software.Anti-Spyware Software
Anti-Spyware software protects against another kind of malware, called spyware. Protect your computer by doing the following:
- Install Anti-Spyware software on your computer.
- Keep your Anti-Spyware software license current.
- Read software agreements to understand exactly what applications are being installed on your computer.
- Only download items from the Internet from trusted sources.
Click here for more information about Spyware and Anti-Spyware software.
Firewalls are systems that help prevent unauthorized access to and from computers. Protect your computer by doing the following:
- Check your operating system to verify that your firewall is turned on.
- If you don’t have a firewall, install one.
- Use a firewall in conjunction with Antivirus and Anti-Spyware software.
Click here for more information about firewall protection.
Software Updates are necessary when companies identify application errors or weaknesses in their software or system that require stronger security protections
- Check your computer operating system’s automatic update settings to ensure you’re receiving updates.
- Check your software programs for updates that may be available in the “Help” menu or on the software vendor’s Web site.
- Pay attention to popup messages within a program: these may be notices of available software updates.
Click here for more information about software updates.