Education & Tools
Frequently Asked Questions about Online BankingShow All | Hide All
Go to www.gatecitybank.com, click on "Sign Up" and follow the registration instructions. Your Online Banking account will be set up immediately upon verification of the information you provided.
The use of Online Banking is totally FREE. This includes viewing accounts, making transfers, Online Bill Pay, Online Statements, etc.
No. You are the only one that knows your password. If the password is forgotten, you may click on the “Forgot Password?” link below the login area or contact a Call Center Representative.
- Use passwords that have at least eight characters and include numbers or symbols. The longer the password, the tougher it is to crack. A 12-character password is stronger than one with eight characters.
- Avoid common words: some hackers use programs that can try every word in the dictionary.
- Don't use your personal information, your login name, or adjacent keys on the keyboard as passwords.
- Change your passwords regularly (at a minimum, every 90 days).
- Don't use the same password for each online account you access.
For security purposes, your account will be locked if the password or verification code are entered incorrectly 5 or more times. You can reset your password and unlock your account by clicking the "Forgot Password?" link under the login area or by contacting a Call Center Representative.
If you log in the same day as your registration is approved, only the current balances will be displayed. Your account's current and previous statement cycle history will be added overnight. Your account history in Online Banking will continue to grow from this point.
Online balances, transfers, and transaction history are live and up to the minute. Online Banking will show current balances and any transactions that have occurred during the current day. (The balance and history will match the bank's system.)
Online Banking gives both a principal and payoff balance (with the exception of a mortgage loan payoff). Online Banking shows a breakdown or spread for monthly payments (what was applied to principal or interest).
Online Banking supports regular and principal-only loan payments made from a Gate City Bank checking or savings account.
Payments can be made using the “Pay” link on the Online Banking Home Page, the "Make a transfer" link on the Online Banking Home Page or Account History Page or by using the "Move Money" tab at the top of any page. Standard/Regular Payment is the default option. Select the Principal Payment option from the drop-down box for a principal-only payment. The transaction will appear and the balances will updated in just a few minutes.
Please note: On mortgage loans, you must make your regular payment before paying an additional amount to the principal balance. You may receive an error message if you attempt to make a principal-only payment before making your regular payment on a mortgage loan.
Yes. Email notifications can be set up for balance (less than or greater than), check cleared (by number), and maturity date (number of days prior to maturity.) Notifications are based on your account status at the end of the business day. An email will be sent the following morning. To set up a notification, log into Online Banking, mouse over the "Additional Services" tab, and then click on "Mobile Banking & Alerts."
Text message notifications can be set up using Text Banking or your phone number with a special e-mail extension from your phone carrier.
Online Banking will export the following file formats: Quicken® (.qfx), OFX and Excel (.csv). Transactions can be exported from the Account History Page within Online Banking. For additional Quicken assistance, please visit Quicken's help page.
Note: Intuit®, the maker of Quicken®, has a policy of ending support and downloading after 3 years.
You may also copy data from your transaction list (Quick Peek and History Page) and paste it into standard spreadsheets like Excel. Highlight and copy the data you want (e.g., date, description or amount) then paste it into a row of the spreadsheet or anywhere you want (Word doc, Notepad, etc.).
Yes. Transfers made online are up to the minute.
You will see 3 pages before the transfer is completed:
- The first page is where you will indicate how much to transfer and which accounts to transfer between.
- The second page shows the information entered on the first page and asks you to select the "Confirm Transfer" button or the "Cancel" button.
- The third page will give the transfer specifics and states that the transfer was successful with a reference number.
Yes. One-time transfers can be scheduled up to 2 years in advance. Recurring transfers can be scheduled weekly and bi-weekly (by day of the week), monthly, twice monthly, quarterly, semi-annually, and annually (by date.) Log into Online Banking, mouse over the "Move Money" tab, and then click on "Scheduled Transfers."
- Change Username
- Change Password
- Security contacts - Your phone numbers for receiving verification codes
- Alerts & Notifications - Set up or update email and Text Banking alerts
- Account Nicknames - Gives the ability to change account names for easier recognition. Using this feature, you may also elect to not display selected accounts. Selecting the Account Nickname feature displays all of your accounts (active and inactive) that may be given an easily recognizable nickname.
- User Options:
- E-mail Address
- Change Promotional Email Subscription
Log in to Online Banking and mouse over the "Secure Forms" tab and select "Add-Delete Account Request." You may also contact us directly to have accounts added or removed from your Online Banking.
Please note: New accounts will be added to your account summary automatically within 3 business days.
You may disable an account without removing it completely. Go to "My Profile" and click on "Account nicknames." You will see a list of your accounts with a checkbox in front of them. Remove the check mark from the account(s) you wish to disable and then click "Change."The account can be enabled at anytime.
Log into Online Banking, go to "My Profile" and click on "User Options." Click on "E-mail Address", enter the new e-mail address and click "Change E-mail Address."
To keep your account active, please log into Online Banking at least once every 6 months. Customers who have not logged in for over 6 months (180 days) are considered inactive and will be removed from the Online Banking system for security reasons.